You get to redesign school as we know it from the ground up. Will you do away with reading, writing, and arithmetic? What skills and knowledge will your school focus on imparting to young minds?
When I was in school, I always hated math. I had no use for it and it would only frustrate me when I didn’t understand it. Math class was the class I always dreaded going to because I knew I would be spending the hour in a confused state of mind.
Now that I am out of school and do not have to endure math class anymore, I have found that I am glad I was forced to learn it. I do not intend to use math in my writing career, but I still use math everyday. It may not be the tough math I had to do in school, but I still do it nonetheless.
Before this, I had always thought it would just be easier to take the classes that I, and my classmates, wanted to take. This is what I liked most about college. I could learn what I wanted to learn and I could enjoy learning it. But I am glad that i had to take classes like math in school. If I hadn’t, I wouldn’t have discovered where I thrived and where I faltered. I would not know where my desired laid when I came to college and would not know where to even start looking when it came to picking classes.
That being said, in creating a school from the ground up, I would have all the classes I was taught but I would give the “core” classes just as much importance as the elective classes. Each and every one of these classes helped to show me the person that I am meant to be. Some of them were hard and some of them were easy. But without having to experience both sides of the spectrum and those in between, I would not know where I wanted to go in life.
- A new school | Sue’s Trifles
- We Need Dumb Teachers To Get Smart Kids | The Jittery Goat
- Redesigning School: My Viewpoint on a Herculean Task | Eyes Through The Glass – A Blog About Asperger’s
- The new school – inspired by the Daily Prompt | Kicking On
- creation does not stop at conception | peacefulblessedstar
- Footie Smoochie | Retrofocus
- The Lurker’s List | School
- Daily Prompt: The New School “Old School New School” | Dancing with the Wise Women
- School. Thou art banished | rightclickontheworld
- Daily Prompt: The New School | Awl and Scribe
- JED’s Playhouse
- School time at the playhouse | JED’s Playhouse
- Getting Back to The Root | My Play Nook
- Daily Prompt: The New School | Nicole Sloan’s Books
- Daily Prompt: The New School | Basically Beyond Basic
- The Next Generation School | iPrattle
- The schoolyard | not4faintheartsblog
- Daily Prompt: The New School | Chronicles of an Anglo Swiss
- 239. New School | Barely Right of Center
- Daily Prompt: The New School | Heron There & Everywhere
- The New School | The Nameless One
- School’s Out Forever! | alienorajt
- That One thing I wish to be taught to children (particularly in the philippines) | 365 days of defiance
- Best Days? (an idea for a book) | Kate Murray
- How to raise naughty children (and why all good parents should consider doing so). | Cogito Ergo Mum
- Daily Prompt: The New School | From Slacker To Scribe
- A Salute to Teachers and the Art and the Love of Learning | meanderedwanderings
- S. Thomas Summers | Jesse James Takes the Gun
- Killing Creativity | 61 Musings